Cheese, bacon and onion scones
A delicious twist on the classic! Perfect on their own or with a bowl of tomato soup to make a delicious lunch.
- 500 g self rasing flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g unsalted butter room temperature and cut into cubes
- 6 rashers smoked bacon cooked and diced
- 3 spring onions finely chopped
- 200 g cheddar cheese grated
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Mix together the flour and baking powder in a large bowl
- Add the cubed butter and rub between your finger tips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the bacon, spring onions and 150g of the cheese – stir to combine
- In a jug, break and whisk 2 of the eggs; add the milk (you need a total volume of 300ml)
- Pour the egg into the flour and bring together as a dough using a round bladed knife
- Flour your surface and turn out the dough
- Roll it out to a thickness of 2.5cm; use a cutter to cut rounds and place them on a lined baking tray ( you want them fairly close together)
- Break the third egg into a small bowl and whisk – use this to glaze the scones
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes
*The number you get depends on the thickness of your dough; the size of your cutter and how little of the dough you waste!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!