Homemade mince pies (that you can make ahead and freeze!)
These mince pies are not only delicious, put they can be made in advance and then popped in the freezer ready and waiting for when you are feeling festive!
- 500 g ready rolled, shortcrust pastry
- 3 tbsp plain flour for dusting
- 300 g mincemeat preferably homemade*
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Splash milk for glazing
- Roll out a little over half the pastry on a flour-dusted surface
- Stamp out circles of pastry to line the holes of a 12-hole tin
- Spoon a little mincemeat into each
- Roll out the remaining pastry with a little more flour
- Sprinkle over the granulated sugar– push it into the pastry
- Use a star cutter to cut out 12 lids
- Top the mincemeat with the pastry stars
- If freezing, now is the point to wrap the whole tray well in cling film. Once frozen you can leave them in the tray, or transfer to a container. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to cook
- Heat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas 6.
- Remove the mince pies from the freezer and brush the top of each with a little milk
- Bake for 30 minutes (they take 20 minutes if you are not cooking from frozen)
* Here is the recipe for my deliciously simple homemade mincemeat
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!