Christmas pie with roasted potatoes and carrots
I love a good pie…delicious, comforting and warming – perfect for a cold winter’s evening. This is a great recipe for using up your Christmas leftovers (or leftovers from any Sunday roast!) I have used turkey, stuffing, roasted parsnips and carrots, but you can use any leftover meat and veg that you have in the fridge.
- 600 g potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- sea salt
- 3 large carrots cut into chunks
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 500 g cooked leftovers turkey, roasted veg, stuffing …
- 400 ml gravy/stock
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat the oven 200°C
- Put the potatoes in a large pan of salted water making sure the potatoes are covered: boil for 8 minutes and then drain and toss in the colander to make the surfaces rough.
- Return the potatoes to the saucepan, add the chopped carrots and drizzle over some olive oil; add a good pinch of sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper; toss around and set aside
- Heat the oil in a frying pan
- Gently fry the onions until softened
- Add the left overs and the plain flour – stir so that the contents of the pan are covered in the flour
- Add the gravy/stock and stir
- Taste and season if necessary
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Make a couple of small slits in the centre
- Brush on the beaten egg
- Bake the pie in the oven for 25 minutes
- Put the potatoes and carrots in a roasting tin and roast for 25 minutes – turning over about half way through cooking
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!