Aubergine and red lentil tagliatelle
This is a delicious dish which combines the smoky goodness of aubergine with the sweetness of tomatoes. And don't worry if certain family members don't like aubergine … they won't even notice it is there!! If you don't fancy pasta, you could serve this dish with some crusty bread and a side salad instead.
- 1 large aubergine
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and finely sliced
- 1 leek (or onion) finely sliced
- 400 g tinned tomatoes you could chop fresh and add instead
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 150 g red lentils
- 350 g tagliatelle
- Start by putting the whole aubergine in the oven and cooking (200°) for 30 minutes. You want the skin to blister. Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a large, lidded pan and soften the leeks and garlic – this will take about 10 minutes
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, lemon juice and a little salt and pepper to the leeks and garlic – stir
- Pop the lid on and cook (on low) for 15 minutes
- If your aubergine isn't ready yet, remove the pan from the heat until it is!
- Halve your aubergine and scoop out the middle. Roughly chop and add to the pan with the lentils, leeks etc along with ½ tin of water (about 200ml)
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, pop on the lid and simmer for 15 minutes (if the lentils aren't cooked just add a little more water and continue to cook)
- Now it's time to cook your pasta – bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook according to the packet's instructions
- Drain, reserving a little to add to your pasta sauce
- When everything is ready, add the tagliatelle to the pasta sauce with the reserved water and toss to combine … enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!